Brotherhood of Steel
|This article contains extensive backstory designed to make your reading experience more enjoyable.|
|Brotherhood of Steel|
|Active||2011 – present|
|Country||22px Republic of Coruscant|
|Headquarters||New Port City|
The Brotherhood of Steel (BoS) or Coruscanti Brotherhood of Steel is a techno-religious organization, with roots in the American military and government-sponsored scientific community from before the Great War. The Brotherhood is mostly composed of the descendants of those military officers, soldiers, and scientists. Within the DRAW Your Own Story universe, the BoS holds ties from within the Armed Forces of the Republic of Coruscant and Black Mesa during the events of the Avatar Wars. They later formally organized during the events of the Third Nazi War.
During wartime, the Brotherhood is absorbed into the Coruscanti armed forces, much like the United States Coast Guard is absorbed into the United States Navy during wartime. During times of relative peace, the Brotherhood functions as mercenaries, bounty hunters, and tech salvagers under a letter of marque issued by the government of the Republic of Coruscant.
- 1 History
- 2 S.T.A.R.S. Division
- 3 Brotherhood Scribes
- 4 Operations
- 5 Symbolism of the insignia
- 6 Ranks
- 7 Equipment
- 8 Military doctrines
- 9 Behind the scenes
- 10 See also
- 11 Notes
- 12 External link
The Brotherhood was a loose fraternal organization during the Combine-Coruscant War. Consisting of militia men, bounty hunters, and scientists, they salvaged any technologies they could acquire to gain an edge against the New Avatar Order. Later, during the Combine-Coruscant War, they reprised this role, gathering any kind of Combine technology they could. During both conflicts they operated in strict secrecy, knowing that their lives would be endangered by opposing forces.
CivGeneral could arguably be considered a founder of the Coruscanti Brotherhood of Steel through his actions as a bounty hunter during the Avatar Wars and situations in which the Republic of Coruscant has no official involvement, especially during the Post-DYOS 5 Era.
CivGeneral had thought about organizing the loose organizations of mercenaries and bounty hunters into a paramilitary subfaction of the Republic, although it would not be until the middle of the Third Nazi War and the arrival of the Clone Guild that he would found the Coruscanti Brotherhood of Steel. Samus Aran and Motoko Kusanagi soon joined in.
Who Dares Wins, だれが敢行するかが勝ちます。— S.T.A.R.S.'s motto
Minor Renovations Occuring
Please excuse the mess in this part of the article. It's undergoing some minor renovations.
Formed from the ashes of Raccoon City Police Department's S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics And Rescue Service) after the recruitment of Jill Valentine into the Brotherhood of Steel. The Brotherhood S.T.A.R.S. functions as mobile shock troops, reinforcing points against known adversaries, spearheading raids deep into enemy territory, rescuing individuals in need, and other altruistic services. If need be, it can operate as a Hostage Rescue Team. It's uncommon for the Brotherhood S.T.A.R.S. to go into missions without the use of Power Armor.
Members range from former STARS officers, nuclear wasteland survivors, Zombie Apocalypse survivors, and/or other Brotherhood of Steel members. Admissions into the STARS division usually require approval by Jill Valentine.
The Brotherhood S.T.A.R.S. badge differs slightly from the main Brotherhood of Steel badge, with the S.T.A.R.S. rocker on the top portion of the BoS badge. Jill and Rebecca still use the original S.T.A.R.S. badge; members of the S.T.A.R.S. division can elect to wear the classic badge or the Brotherhood variant.
- Commander CivGeneral
- Sentinel Jill Valentine
- Star Paladin Marsha Conrad
- Knight Amanda Lockheart
- Star Paladin Ayane
Semper Paratus, Always Ready— S.T.A.R.S. Beta Team Motto
- Sentinel Motoko Kusanagi
- Knight Captain Coach
- Initiate Rebecca Chambers
- Scribe Operator Ashley Graham
- Scribe Operator Tina Hitachi
Brotherhood Scribes are responsible for investigating and reverse-engineering the ancient technologies, maintaining the current technology of the Brotherhood and even experimenting with new weapons and other useful devices. Scribes rarely leave the safety of the Brotherhood's bunkers and outposts, but they are sometimes called into the field to examine a piece of technology or perform a task beyond the skills of the Brotherhood's soldiers.
Some scribes perform administration duties as clerks and/or secretaries. Scribe Initiates often see themselves as undersecretaries for scribes and head scribes. Some are made into journeymen and some continue their track as administration support. Ashley Graham is one such scribe who is neither a scientist nor an engineer, but works in administrative support as a secretary for Dr. Kleiner, Motoko Kusanagi, and CivGeneral.
Engineer scribes are tasked with the general maintenance of the Brotherhood of Steel building headquarters, ships, and vehicles.
- Doctor Isaac Kleiner - Head Scribe
- Doctor Eli Vance - Scribe
- Ashley Graham - Scribe Initiate & Secretary
Activated into the Republic Armed Forces
- Flies the Republic flag in combat/missions
- Third Nazi War
- The Hacker Crisis
- Battle of Nar Kreeta (Some non-Military members fly the Brotherhood Banner)
- Flies CivGeneral's coat of arms in combat/missions
Symbolism of the insignia
CivGeneral decided to utilize a mixture of the Fallout BoS's emblem and Samus's lightning bolt to create a new coat of arms for themselves, later adopted by the Brotherhood as a whole.
CivGeneral describes the symbolism as follows: the gears represent engineering knowledge; the sword is their will to defend themselves; the wings represent the uplifting hope that the acquisition of lost technology represents for mankind's salvation; and the circle represents the fraternal unity that makes the organization a true brotherhood; the screw attack and the "S" shape would seem to represent "Samus", "Suit", or "Screw". Alternatively, the shape could be a lightning bolt, in relation to the Screw Attack's electric nature, whereas the thunderbolt is an ancient heraldic emblem of sovereignty, power and speed.
CivGeneral chose to keep the ranks simple and borrow the ranking system from the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood from Fallout 3 as well as the rank system from the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout Tactics. The "Elder" rank is replaced by "Commander". "Squire" ranks have been replaced by "Legionnaire". No Junior ranks are used.
- Second in Command
- Star Paladin
- Knight Captain
- Knight Sergeant
- Senior Legionnaire
- Senior Initiate
- Head Scribe/Scientist (Science, R&D, Intelligence, Mission Control Commander)
- Scribe/Scientist (Science, R&D, Intelligence, Administration support, Operator)
- Scribe Initiate (Science, R&D, Intelligence, Administration support, Operator)
- Foreman (Engineering & Maintenance)
- Engineer 1st Class (Engineering & Maintenance)
- Engineer 2nd Class (Engineering & Maintenance)
- Engineer 3rd Class (Engineering & Maintenance)
- Apprentice (Engineering & Maintenance)
The Brotherhood's inventory is not as extensive as the Coruscanti Armed Forces; however they have sufficient matériel to operate independent of the Republic.
- FV510 Warrior
- Leopard 2A4
- Gepard 1A2
- 2S1 Gvozdika
- 2S7 Pion
- GZ 550 (S.T.A.R.S.)
- UD-6 Talon Gunship
- UD-12 Shepherd Air Transport
- Venator-class Star Destroyer, Poker Alice (CivGeneral's Ship)
- YT-1300 light freighter, The Bebop (Brotherhood S.T.A.R.S. Ship)
- Dynamic-class freighter, The Tofu Survivor
- Acclamator-class assault ship
- Varia Suit (Samus Aran)
- Various Enclave Power Armor
- Katarn-class Power Armor
- Republic Stealth Armor
- DC-15A blaster rifle (Energy Weapon)
- Winchester P-94 Plasma Rifle (Energy Weapon)
- Glock 86 Plasma Pistol (Energy Weapon)
- Seburo 55 Plasma Pistol (Energy Weapon)
- Seburo 56 Plasma Rifle (Energy Weapon)
- Seburo M80 Gatling Laser (Energy Weapon)
- Seburo M75 Minigun
- AER9 Laser Rifle (Energy Weapon)
- AEP7 Laser Pistol (Energy Weapon)
- Stouker concussion rifle (Energy Weapon)
- Bren light machine gun
- Boys Anti-tank rifle
- M1919 Browning machine gun
- M2 Browning machine gun
- HK USP Pistol
Being a small to moderate paramilitary organization, the Brotherhood tends to rely on squad- to company-level troops when conducting missions outside of home headquarters. Using stealth and/or mobility to outmanoeuvre their enemies in hit-and-run tactics compensates for the comparatively small unit size. Very rarely are the Brotherhood deployed as an army group outside of wartime.
The S.T.A.R.S. Division operates much like the Navy SEALS and the British SAS in real life, relying on unconventional tactics and infiltration. They bear the unofficial nickname of "CivGeneral's Stormtroopers" and "Jill's fists".
Behind the scenes
- If coupled with Fallout lore, this variant of the Brotherhood of Steel would be considered a splinter faction akin to the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel and others. The Coruscanti Brotherhood borrows the BoS emblem, with the screw attack symbol from the Metroid series added on.
- The Brotherhood of Steel serves as a collective faction of CivGeneral's close characters when operating independently from the Republic of Coruscant, similar to how Lucifer's Demon Clan operates as a collective faction of DaemonDD's characters.
- The Brotherhood S.T.A.R.S. is roughly equivalent to Lyon's Pride in Fallout 3. The Alpha Team of S.T.A.R.S. serves as CivGeneral's main group in his travels. Coincidently, in Resident Evil 1, Jill was also a member of Alpha team in Raccoon City Police Department's S.T.A.R.S..
- Brotherhood of Nod
- Black Mesa
- Umbrella Corporation
- Lucifer's Demon Clan
- Mr. Toyoda's Security Firm
- Doubles as under-armor
- During wartime, the Brotherhood is integrated into the Armed Forces of the Republic of Coruscant